Tuesday, June 7, 2011

World Cup!

Last year, Chelsea and I attended the Teva Mountain Games in Vail, Colorado and decided that this event full of climbing, kayaking, stand up paddling, dogs, music, biking, running and more was probably the best event ever invented and that we should definitely attend every year.  However, when Chelsea broke her neck it seemed that we might not get the chance to go this year.  On Friday, I was sitting on my bed finishing up my final English project when Chelsea and I started texting back and forth and eventually decided that we had to go!

Raft Cross

Dock Dogs!  
We jumped in the car and started on the 17 hour drive towards Colorado.  PSYCHED!  We eventually got there on Saturday in time for the Bouldering World Cup.  If you have ever seen an event like this, you will know that energy is very high, the crowd is pumped, and the event is fun to watch.  The finals this year did not disappoint as we got to watch the best competitors from France, Germany, Austria, Korea, Japan, Australia, Russia and the US battle it out for first place.  In the end Austria took first in both men's and women's with Killian Fischhuber and Anna Stohr putting on impressive displays.

Alex Puccio in last year's World Cup
Daniel Woods in last year's World Cup
I also got the chance to compete in the citizen's competition on Sunday.  I was inspired by watching the pros the day before and headed out to the competition wall.  I forgot about the effects of altitude and climbing at over 8,000 feet after living at sea level for six months left me very winded!  I was also really scared of how high the walls were which made it hard to commit to a lot of the finishing moves.  Nevertheless, I had an AWESOME time competing and the routes were amazing!  I ended up taking 3rd place in the recreational category.  Even though it was in the beginner's category, I was super excited to take home a medal from the Teva Games.

That's me!
My medal :)
It was a great weekend full of fun events, free swag, great music and friends.  We got to see Eric for a bit as he was on his way out to Tennessee for a music festival, and we stopped in Moab on our way home to check out Arches National Park.  Now I just have two finals to take care of and then I am free from school until January!

Delicate Arch
A kayaker doing a flip 
Last year's mountain bike race
Last year's slopestyle competiton

2 comments:

  1. TEVA, TEVA, TEVA!!! What an educational trip.
    1. ALWAYS go to the TMG; neck breakage is overrated
    2. We can totally live off of granola, honey and tortillas for 5 days..almost
    3. Dancing is not overrated. I think we already knew that
    4. Don't leave Colorado
    5. "Go back to your sheep!"
    6. Always carry your cell phone, even if you don't currently have cell service.
    7. Zzyzx means ugly and desolate; synonyms: Barstow, Bakersfield, Boron
    8. Honey is messy and so are weeeeee
    9. the Car-bed is so legit!

    What a champion! That was super rad to see you climbing on the Teva Wall! You did awesome too. The graders didn't really know what they were doing cos people should have been bumped around to different categories - you got a higher total than first place intermediate..And you wouldn't have been last in Open!
    Baller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys make me curl up and grin.

    ReplyDelete