Thursday, December 23, 2010

El Fin


I have returned home to my parents’ house in the Bay Area for Christmas, thus ending the adventure.  While the return is somewhat anti-climactic, I have found that there is a bowl of Christmas colored M&Ms that sits by the door and is mysteriously refilled every time that I empty it.  I may stay.

Here are some stats from the trip:

Total mileage: 11,823
Total days: 106
Total states: 9 (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, California)
Total crags/areas: 14 (Smith Rock, Trout Creek, Ozone, City of Rocks, the Tetons, American Fork, Maple Canyon, Joe’s Valley, Indian Creek, Rocky Mountain National Park, Eldorado Canyon, Flagstaff Boulders, Clear Creek Canyon, Bishop)
Longest stay: Indian Creek, 18 days
Longest drive: Littleton, CO to Incline Village, NV- 17 hours
Longest route: Exum Direct, Grand Teton
Highest temperature: 90 degrees- City of Rocks, Idaho
Lowest temperature: 10 degrees- Bishop, California


I left on this trip with high hopes for a grand adventure and I was not disappointed.  I left with two crazy puppies and returned with two loyal companions.  I left with a best friend and returned with a best friend; we don’t want to kill each other, we can still stand each other’s company, and I in fact miss her already after only two days apart.  I left with a mild allergy to splitter cracks and returned with a new affection for them.  I left without my greatest climbing partner, and returned still missing him as much as ever.  I left with a sense of adventure and returned with an even greater yearning for exploration.    
      

 I may be back home, but plenty of things occurred since my last post.  After leaving Bishop after our first ten days there, we made quick stops in San Luis Obispo and the Bay Area and then returned to Tahoe for several days of skiing.  Then it was back to Bishop for another four days.  This time we were fortunate enough to meet up with a bunch of great friends from school who had just finished finals. 


Psyche was extremely high as evidenced by the huge number of V-points that the group racked up.  Our posse reached 12 at its largest and made ascents of Beefcake V10, Beefy Gecko V11, Standing Kill Order V10, Queen Sweet Nectar V9, Disco Diva V8, Morning Dove White V7, The Hulk V6, Strength in Numbers V5, Molly V5, Pow Pow V8, High Plains Drifter V7, Atari V6, the sit start to Bowling Pin which probably has a different name V8, and many, many more that I can’t think of at this moment.  Almost as impressive as the number of V-points that were amassed, were the number of stars, as most of the ascents were classics. 


It was awesome to climb with good friends, some of whom I hadn’t seen for six months!  We finally convinced Ian that he could stop studying long enough to come to Bishop for four days and he impressed us all with his ability to climb V10 off the couch.  Alex was as psyched as always and amazed me with his ability to continuously pull down on burly moves throughout the day, spot like a champion, and be my bestie.  Eric quietly sent climb after climb, cruising through the moves with unparalled finesse.  Drew put down his long time project and arch nemesis, High Plains Drifter, in a beautiful display of effort and inspiration.  Trevor’s finger exploded and started to hemorrhage blood within the first hour of his arrival, but that didn’t stop him from pulling down hard.  Chelsea continued to hop on harder and harder climbs as her bouldering confidence builds.  Kent sussed out the beta on Molly and on the send he hit the finishing hold in an awesome dynamic upward surge, feet flying out, huge smile on his face.  Tiber was exuberant and possibly the most excited person in all of Bishop.  Sam was as impressive as ever, amassing a very proud ticklist and working inspiring lines.  Fabien was stoked, super encouraging and ever explorative.  Matt impressed me with his determination and made many notable ascents after some good effort.  And as for me, I was just excited to be in a beautiful place with beautiful people (I was also excited that the temperatures were double what they were on our last visit). 


We left Bishop and drove through a snowstorm back to Tahoe.  The next day we woke up to 24” of fresh powder and bluebird skies.  The next week consisted of skiing, eating, and movie watching.  We were stoked to get to watch the opening night of an ongoing competition at High Altitude Fitness (the gym in Incline where we worked this summer), in which the winners will be flown out to Hueco Tanks to be guided by professional rock climber Jason Kehl.  Not a bad deal.  The end of our time in Tahoe was slightly dampered by a huge storm that brought insane winds that whipped the lake into an ocean like frenzy, knocked out our power for 10 hours, and dumped rain onto our beautiful powder. 


My trip was amazing.  I love being dirty, living in my car, sleeping outside, playing with my dogs, climbing rocks and doing whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment.  I love the freedom of the open road, the unpredictable weather, the way that nature surprises you when you least expect it.  I love meeting people that make me laugh, people that make me say ‘wow,’ people that inspire me and move me, and plain, simple people that I can sit under the stars with and not say a word.  I love having time to stop and think, and have no obligations and no one to answer to.  I love the ways that God has blessed me, the way my friends have shaped me, the way my family supports me.  I love that I do not feel tied down, or worn out, or trampled on by the ways of the world, that I am not caught up in the routine, or the expectations of others.  I love that there are people in this world who understand that there is more to life than the car in your driveway, the degree on your wall and the money in your bank account.  I love people who quit their jobs to pursue something they are passionate about.  I love the way that I see beauty.  I love how much money we spent on chocolate on this trip.  I love that in a world that is often filled with despair, there are still people who know how to love.     

Peace. Joy. Love. Christmas cookies.

     
I would like to thank the following people for making this trip possible, providing hospitality, funding, meals, guiding, entertainment, gear, a Yakima SkyBox 16s, and much more.  Please forgive me if I didn’t mention you!

The Patton Family, the Kaes Family, Greg, Steph, the Checketts Family, Donell, Alan and Dana, Max, Dan, Kristal, Jason, the makers of the 2007 Honda CRV, Black Diamond Camalots, and Nutella    

And just because my trip is over, don’t think that my blog is over.  I will continue to write!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Can't wait to run into you in Bishop in February. Best of luck to you and Chelsea with whatever it is you will be doing next. See you on the road...

    ReplyDelete
  2. laura,
    love it. thanks for the shout-out! back to school soon? I'm looking at jobs in Moab for the summer... visit?

    ReplyDelete